Every child at our primary school has a weekly singing/percussion/music appreciation lesson with our experienced music teacher, Miss Sarah Wilkinson. All our children’s music learning is linked to the London Symphony Orchestra’s education programme and our children attend at least two concerts a year at the Barbican.
From Year One every child learns to play the recorder in small groups with a specialist recorder teacher, Miss Vanessa Widdup, and there is also a Recorder Ensemble. There are two popular Choirs for the Lower and Upper School. In addition, there are a range of teachers who visit to teach private instrumental or voice lessons each week. Individual music lessons are offered for a variety of instruments such as piano, violin, guitar and the voice.
We are very proud of the fact that our children perform in recitals and concerts for the elderly in the community, in addition to class plays and assemblies. There is also an annual Music Festival at The Gower School.
We pride ourselves on our rich cultural offerings for children and we believe this makes us unique among our peers. Other musical activities offered include:
- end-of-term whole school concerts twice a year
- recitals for instrumentalists
- carol singing to the elderly by the school’s senior choir
- annual Music Festival and Music Week
- grade exams – recently a student gained grade 5 distinction cello and piano
- music places at senior schools
- work with Highbury Opera Theatre group, performing at Union Chapel with other schools and professional singers.
- visiting professional music recitals for the children
- London Symphony Orchestra education programme with termly concerts at St Luke’s or the Barbican and concerts at Wigmore Hall.